The Committee on Judicial Ethics Opinions is seeking comment on a draft opinion regarding outside speakers who provide presentations to judges and court staff.
The proposed ethics rule allows courts to invite outside speakers and groups if:
- Their presentation does not undermine judicial impartiality
- The speakers represent a balance of interests and viewpoints
- The presentation would not lend judicial prestige to advance the outside speaker’s interests
- The presentation does not include improper political activity
- The outside speaker is not involved, or likely to become involved, in litigation before the court
“The code broadly permits and encourages judicial education. To this end, courts may invite outside speakers and groups to provide educational presentations to